Rice water porridge is a popular Ghanaian breakfast dish.
To prepare rice water porridge, also known as rice congee or rice gruel, follow these general steps:
- 1 cup of rice
- 8 cups of water or broth
- Salt (to taste)
- Optional toppings: chopped green onions, fried garlic, soy sauce, sesame oil, shredded chicken, boiled egg, etc.
- Rinse the rice thoroughly to remove any impurities.
- In a large pot, combine the rinsed rice and water or broth. You can use more or less liquid depending on how thick or thin you prefer your porridge.
- Bring the mixture to a boil over medium heat.
- Once boiling, reduce the heat to low and let the rice simmer. Stir occasionally to prevent the rice from sticking to the bottom of the pot.
- Continue simmering for about 45 minutes to an hour, or until the rice grains are fully cooked and the mixture thickens to your desired consistency. You may need to adjust the cooking time depending on the type of rice used.
- Season the porridge with salt to taste. Start with a small amount and gradually add more if needed.
- Remove the pot from the heat and let the porridge cool slightly.
- Serve the rice water porridge in bowls, and you can add various toppings according to your preference. Common toppings include chopped green onions, fried garlic, soy sauce, sesame oil, shredded chicken, boiled egg, or any other ingredients you like.
- Mix the toppings into the porridge and enjoy it while it’s warm.