Nkatie cake, also known as groundnut cake or peanut brittle, is a popular Ghanaian snack made from roasted peanuts and sugar. It’s a sweet and crunchy treat that’s relatively easy to prepare. Here’s a basic recipe for making nkatie cake:
- 2 cups of raw peanuts (with skins removed)
- 1 cup of granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup of water
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt (optional)
- Roast the Peanuts:
- Start by roasting the peanuts. You can do this by spreading them out on a baking sheet and placing them in a preheated oven at 350°F (175°C) for about 15-20 minutes. You can also roast them in a dry pan on the stovetop, stirring frequently until they turn golden brown. Keep a close eye on them to prevent burning. Roasting enhances the flavor of the peanuts.
- Prepare the Baking Sheet:
- Grease a baking sheet or line it with parchment paper. This will prevent the nkatie cake from sticking to the surface.
- Make the Caramel:
- In a heavy-bottomed saucepan, combine the sugar and water. Heat over medium-high heat, stirring until the sugar dissolves. Once the sugar has completely dissolved, stop stirring and allow the mixture to boil. Continue to cook the sugar syrup until it reaches a golden-brown color. Be careful not to let it get too dark, as it can quickly burn.
- Add Peanuts and Flavoring (Optional):
- Once the caramel has reached the desired color, remove it from the heat. Quickly stir in the roasted peanuts and, if desired, the vanilla extract and salt. Ensure the peanuts are well-coated with the caramel.
- Shape the Nkatie Cake:
- Immediately pour the caramel-coated peanuts onto the prepared baking sheet. Use a spatula or the back of a greased spoon to spread the mixture out and flatten it to your desired thickness. You can also use a greased rolling pin to roll it out evenly.
- Score and Cut:
- While the nkatie cake is still warm, score it with a knife into the desired shapes or simply cut it into squares or rectangles. Be careful as the mixture will be hot.
- Allow to Cool:
- Let the nkatie cake cool completely at room temperature. It will harden as it cools.
- Break and Serve:
- Once the nkatie cake is completely cool and firm, you can break it along the scored lines or cut it into pieces. It’s now ready to be enjoyed as a sweet and crunchy snack.
Store your nkatie cake in an airtight container to keep it fresh. These tasty peanut brittle snacks are perfect for enjoying on their own or sharing with friends and family.