“Bofrot,” also known as “togbei” or “puff puff” in various African countries, is a popular fried dough snack. It’s simple to make and enjoyed by many. Here’s a basic recipe to get you started:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon active dry yeast
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg (optional, for flavor)
- 1 cup warm water
- Oil for frying
- Activate the Yeast: In a small bowl, combine the active dry yeast with a couple of tablespoons of warm water and a pinch of sugar. Allow it to sit for about 5-10 minutes until it becomes frothy.
- Prepare the Dough: In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour, sugar, salt, and nutmeg (if using). Make a well in the center and pour in the activated yeast mixture. Gradually add the warm water while stirring. Mix until you have a sticky and smooth dough.
- Let the Dough Rise: Cover the bowl with a clean kitchen towel or plastic wrap. Place the bowl in a warm, draft-free area and allow the dough to rise for about 1-2 hours. The dough should double in size
- Heat the Oil: Heat enough oil in a deep pan or pot for frying. The oil should be around 350°F (175°C).
- Shape and Fry the Bofrot: Using a spoon or your hands, scoop small portions of the dough and drop them gently into the hot oil. You can shape them into small balls or elongated shapes, depending on your preference. Avoid overcrowding the pan, as it can affect the frying process. Fry the bofrot until they turn golden brown, flipping them occasionally to ensure even cooking. This usually takes about 3-5 minutes.
- Drain and Serve: Use a slotted spoon to remove the fried bofrot from the oil. Place them on a plate lined with paper towels to drain excess oil.
- Enjoy: Bofrot is traditionally enjoyed warm. Serve them as a delicious snack or dessert option.
- Variations: Feel free to get creative with your bofrot by adding other flavors like vanilla extract, ground cinnamon, or grated coconut. You can also experiment with different shapes and sizes.
- Remember, frying involves working with hot oil, so exercise caution and follow proper safety measures to avoid accidents.